Next issue of Christ and Pop Culture Magazine will be on the theme of Christ and Nation, and we’re looking for two feature articles on this theme. We pay $50 for the two featured articles we publish each issue. If you think you have a good idea for an article, send a one-paragraph pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org. Here are the details. Please read them before submitting:
Theme: Constructive ways for us to move forward after the stupor of the “religious right” and the blurring of nationalism and Christianity.
A few ideas for how to write on this theme:
- How can we love our nation?
- Is there such a thing as righteous patriotism?
- What does it look like to be a Christian and a political conservative without uniting our faith with conservative politics?
- How should US Christians acknowledge and deal with our history of great evil?
- A personal narrative about church Fourth of July celebrations with clear reflection and analysis of the experiences.
There are many, many ways you can go with this topic, but as always, you will need to address both the cultural aspects and the faith aspects of the topic.
Pitch Deadline: We will make the decision by Friday the 27th at midnight, if not sooner. We typically decide on the pitches as they come in, so if you wait until Friday night, it’s likely that we will have already chosen a pitch.
- Do not send a full article unless your pitch is accepted; we won’t have the time to read unsolicited pieces.
- Keep your pitch to one paragraph, but include a thesis and some ideas about how you will develop your thesis throughout the piece.
- Remember that these are magazine features, so the finished piece should be something more than just a long blog post. These are insightful, detailed, original, well-crafted pieces.
- Include a bio of about two sentences to help me understand why you would be qualified to write on this topic.
- Include links to two or three articles that you have published, even if it is your own blog (but preferably at other publications).
- Keep our audience in mind. We recommend reading a few of the features we’ve published in the past to get a sense of the kinds of articles we run.
- Pieces should be between 1.5k-3k words when finished.
- If we choose your article, we will need a full draft of the article by Tuesday, July 1st.
- If we choose your article, you will need to be available for revisions during the week of the 1st.
Again, please send this pitches to email@example.com. Please keep in mind that we are unable to respond to all pitches.
If you have not read CaPCMag before, I recommend becoming a member and reading our recent issues as well as last year’s volume!
Managing Editor, CAPCMag